Homeworking has been named as one of the coolest trends of 2018 so far. But what is it that makes working from home so attractive?
Working from home is one of the coolest, most on-trend things you should be doing this year, according to the results of a recent survey.
Limited company contractors and freelancers who already work from home will know just how cool and convenient it can be, but if you're currently trying to decide whether the contracting lifestyle is for you, knowing it's what everyone wants to be doing right now could help to sway your decision.
The poll was carried out by frozen yoghurt brand yoomoo, and it rated working from home as the sixth coolest trend of 2018 overall, beaten only by reusable coffee cups, which came out on top, holidaying off the beaten track (second), belonging to a gym (third), eating a balanced diet (fourth) and having nights in instead of nights out (fifth).
Working from home even came above fitness trackers (tenth place) and craft ale (12th), both of which are probably more likely to spring to mind when you think of 'cool' millennial interests.
So, what is it that makes working from home such a coveted activity?
5 reasons why working from home is cool
1. You can technically go to work in your pyjamas - obviously, you need to change into something smart if you're meeting a client or joining a video call where you'll be seen, but the rest of the time, you can wear whatever you like. It might help you to feel more motivated if you do change out of your pyjamas, though.
2. You don't have to battle with commuters - not having to commute, get stuck in traffic, deal with delayed trains, failed trams and other grumpy morning people is a huge bonus of working from home. It also means you don't have to start your work day as early and end it as late, allowing you to achieve a better work-life balance. Technically, you can roll out of bed and into work within minutes.
3. You can take breaks whenever you like - working as a home-based limited company contractor means that you're your own boss, so you decide the working hours, and that means choosing when to take a break too. If you aren't feeling especially motivated one day and have no urgent deadlines, you can take a break. Want to take as many days of annual leave as you like? You can, just as long as you can afford to and have managed expectations with your clients.
4. You should be able to eat healthier - having to get up earlier to travel into the office can mean grabbing a pastry for breakfast, several sugary coffees to fuel you through the day, a sandwich and crisps meal deal for lunch, and there always seems to be cake for someone's birthday/last day/first day/anniversary/sister's dog's engagement. Being away from this temptation and having the chance to prepare fresh, healthy snacks for yourself throughout your working day can help you feel a lot healthier and, in turn, more motivated too.
5. A better work-life balance - together, all of the above benefits of working from home can combine to give contractors and freelancers a more sustainable work-life balance. Choosing your own working hours, setting your own pay rates and having more time to spend with the family or on hobbies can all give your wellbeing a huge boost.
How to make working from home cool for you
There are a few things you can do to make working from home suit you perfectly. For example, you don't want to become your own boss to pursue a passion and turn it into your career, only to find yourself bogged down by limited company admin. PayStream's limited company service, My PSC can help with this, as it provides administrative support and advice to personal service company contractors, helping them to stay on top of their company finances and on the right side of HMRC.
My PSC provides you with access to a dedicated accounts team, and online portal which provides real-time updates on your limited company finances, and we think that's pretty cool too.
It's also important to make sure you're not going to be distracted by chores or even by the TV when you're working from home, so create a workspace that suits your needs. Whether it's a whole room you can turn into a home office or just a corner that's away from distractions, it doesn't matter. But remember that natural light, plants and a generally tidy space will all help to keep you feeling motivated and in a good place to make your limited company a success.